Fancy Fish Games
Based in Flagstaff, Arizona
September 23, 2012
Press / Business Contact:
+00 (1) 928 592 2638
DescriptionFancy Fish Games is an indie game development studio dedicated to creating imaginative and thought-provoking experiences. Games that are designed to make you think, wonder, and ask questions - either during actual play, or upon reflection.
Our goal is to make games that are unlike what you have seen before. Games that are quirky, non-traditional, or metaphorical. To actually have an impact on your life, or how you think about life, even after you've finished playing our games.
HistoryOur History (written by David Maletz, Founder)
I have always dreamed of other worlds, and tried to create them in as many forms as I could - and as I got older, that naturally shifted into programming and game development for me. Every time I learned a new programming language, the first thing I would do was make a small game in it - and now game development is an integral part of who I am. I recieved a B.S. and Masters degrees in Computer Science from UMass Amherst, where I focused on 3D Graphics Research and developed several small games for class projects. During college, I started a collaborative game project where I met most of the members of Fancy Fish Games and we attempted to make Aero Empire, a game far beyond our skill level at the time (although we hope to one day redo it at a more reasonable scale). Once I had finished my Masters and completed some games I could actually be proud of with my wife Natalie and friends, we all decided we wanted to work together as an official indie game development studio. When we began thinking about what kind of game studio we wanted to be, we realized there wasn't any particular kind of game or genre we wanted to specialize in. We simply wanted to have fun, work on interesting projects, and make the game ideas that caught our fancy. That was when I came up with the name Fancy Fish Games, where we catch some fancy game ideas. We don't have a budget or a centralized studio, but we have the passion to turn our ideas into reality.
Promo Video for Fancy Fish Games (with clips from many of our games) YouTube
Realtime Clouds And Atmosphere Technology for Aero Empire YouTube
There are far more images available for Fancy Fish Games, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
We're a new studio, so we don't have any awards yet!
- "I Can't Escape: Darkness is the indie horror game version of "Cube", and I couldn't be more excited about it."
- Ralph Durso, RETRONUKE Review of I Can't Escape: Darkness
- "Taking away all that you presumed and trusted about the game to then forcing you against your will to go further down away from your goal is a fantastic psychological twist of horror."
- Chris Priestman, Indie Statik Review of I Can't Escape
- "WOW, this game is a true treat to play. So much room for the player to create ways past obstacles. The physics work true for both the real and imaginary world. I'd buy this game in a second."
- Half-Breed, Newgrounds Review of Drawscape
- "I really like it. Deep, challenging, rather original and fun."
- DeoJr, Newgrounds Review of Deus Shift
Team & Repeating
Co-Founder, Programmer, Designer, Writer
Co-Founder, Artist, Animator, Writer
Composer, Sound Effects