Fancy Fish Games
Based in Flagstaff, Arizona
In this interactive novel, Lilya Martel has the opportunity to test a revolutionary virtual reality console, made by tech developer Jacob Lessard, that feels more "real" than reality itself. But when everything Lilya and Jacob assume about reality is thrown into question, they must confront their own beliefs about the nature of existence.Story:
Supernovas blaze in the night sky and major natural disasters are commonplace, but the gaming world is abuzz over a revolutionary virtual reality console. The Penta, developed by InterMense founder Jacob Lessard, promises a neural connection more "real" than reality itself. But what does it truly mean for something to be real?
When VR nerd Lilya Martel arrives at InterMense as a beta tester, she expects to spend the weekend battling her social anxiety in exchange for the opportunity to enter Vitalia, the flagship Penta simulation. But between the physical side-effects of the Penta, suspicious explanations from the developers, and the odd and unbelievably intelligent inhabitants of Vitalia, clearly all is not as it seems at InterMense. Ben Evers, another beta tester, claims that Vitalia is the world in which he belongs - permanently. When Ben's life is threatened, Lilya sees that she has become involved in something much riskier and more eye-opening than she realized.
As Lilya, Ben, and Jacob's fates intertwine, they must make some of the hardest decisions of their lives, and confront their own beliefs and perceptions of the nature of existence.
We've been working on the project since July 2016, and have already written our first draft of the script. The idea spawned from another game idea which was similar to the mentioned "gameplay" of the in-game world of Vitalia. However, we then came up with several interesting twists and wanted to focus more on the story as it was honestly more interesting than the gameplay. Thus started our first ever Visual Novel project!
- A thought-provoking, philosophy-inspired story with several mind-bending twists, and two perspective characters - over 90,000 words.
- A plethora of choices that really matter. Your decisions can change a character's outlook, place them on a different story branch, or affect how the entire game ends.
- Expressive character art and illustrative visuals - 14+ characters, each with various poses/expressions, 12+ background scenes, 16+ CGs/special moments, 15+ ending panels.
- In-depth character development, affected by your choices, and with opportunities for relationship-building (romantically and non-romantically). Romance is completely optional, and may be pursued from either Lilya or Jacob's perspective.
- Original soundtrack and sound design.
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Truly, a gem of a game in a genre that is often overlooked."
- Heather Johnson, Equity Arcade
About Fancy Fish Games
Fancy Fish Games is an indie game development studio dedicated to creating imaginative and thought-provoking experiences. Games that are designed to make you think, wonder, and ask questions - either during actual play, or upon reflection.
Our goal is to make games that are unlike what you have seen before. Games that are quirky, non-traditional, or metaphorical. To actually have an impact on your life, or how you think about life, even after you've finished playing our games.
More information on Fancy Fish Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Co-Designer, Writer & Artist, Fancy Fish Games
Composer & Sound Designer, Fancy Fish Games